Friday, August 12, 2011

What's Eating Gilbert Grape?

I spent yesterday going to doctor appointments and playing chauffeur for my daughter.   I was lucky the lab tech hit my vein with the first stick (something that rarely happens).  I learned that I'm not handling stress as well as I thought I was.  I thought I was pretty good at venting and sharing all my gunk......I do it here.  But, evidently that isn't quite enough as it appears I have developed an ulcer.  I finally gave in and went to the doctor when the pain got to be too much to ignore. So, guess I'll have to work on finding some other ways to cope.  What really got my attention was how my stomach would start hurting every time I talked to Mike on the phone.  I knew I was getting impatient with him and I felt bad about it but it was having the same conversation over and over and over again that was getting to me.  At least 15 - 20 times a day! I have learned how to work at my desk and talk to Mike on the phone at the same time.  I leave work at 4:00 and my phone rings at home at 4:25 on the dot.  It doesn't stop until Ron gets home at 7:00 pm and he takes over the calls. Then Mike goes to bed at 8:00.  That's when I finally let out a long sigh........but the guilt sure has been eating (literally) at me.  That frustration is what I need to learn how to handle.

4 comments:

Arkansas Patti said...

Is there anyway you can limit Mike's calls. Would he respond to a scheduled time that he can call and maybe giving him a timer to judge how long he can talk. You could say that your boss insists.
Hope your daughter is doing much better and is out of pain.
Think I would have more than ulcers with the plate full you deal with.
Do take care. Ulcers can be very serious.

oklhdan said...

Patti, I've tried the scheduled calls but he just forgets. Each day is a brand new day for him and whatever you talked about yesterday is long forgotten. I've tried not answering but then he panics and starts calling every relative and acquaintance he can find to tell them I'm missing including the switchboard here at work. It's easier if I just answer!

Betty said...

It's no wonder you have an ulcer. I don't know what you can do, other than try to find yourself some quiet time during every day. It may have a calming effect. Pretty lame advice, but the best I can think of.

kenju said...

I have no answers for you. I am often under a similar stress due to short-term memory loss suffered by my better half - as well as anger issues he has. It's a miracle that I haven't got an ulcer. I hope your doc has good answers for you.