Thursday, August 18, 2011

Ring Ring....."Hello, Alexander calling."

I know a lot of seniors are now on Facebook and Twitter but do they utilize it in the same way as the younger folks?  I know that I just lurk about on Facebook reading the posts of others but I seldom post anything myself.  I'm not sure why I have not been attracted to this form of communication but it just doesn't do anything for me. It's obviously not because I have trouble sharing my thoughts....I do that here all the time!  I get on Facebook to see what my daughters are up to since they have all but given up using the phone except for texting which to their frustration, I don't do.  

Texting is a whole other rant....I still don't get it!!!!!  In my mind the invention of the telephone was and still is one of the greatest achievements.  No more Morse Code.......or at least we thought!
  The art of spelling and grammar will be lost forever thanks to texting.

I saw a room full of girls at my friend's house recently.  The girls were all sitting in the den with cell phones in hand and they were busy texting, tweeting, posting, and whatever and not a one of them looked up to interact personally.  It was the weirdest thing I ever saw.  Not a sound in the room, no talking, no giggling girls, it was just weird.  How on earth will these kids know how to have a personal relationship with anyone?   I've heard of parents having to text their kids (while in the same house) in order to get their attention and call them to dinner.    OMG!!!!!!!
>

5 comments:

Olga said...

I don't get it either.

Meryl Baer said...

I'm with you guys. Who has all that time to spend posting, checking...and learning to do all those things. I am definitely out of it. I don't feel I am missing anything...

Arkansas Patti said...

My phone doesn't even have texting capabilities. I am gratefully out of the loop.
My sister is into it all and now her emails take a bit of translating as she emails in text speach. Yikes.

kenju said...

I specifically requested NO texting with my phone, much to the consternation of my kids and grand kids.

I do love facebook, however, and I put my 2 cents worth in where ever I want.

Jean Campbell said...

I have a year to go on my three score and ten. I have no reason to text. I am on Facebook and have found a fun theme there. I belong to 3 groups: HS Class of 1960, You know You Are from [mill village] if, and You Know You from [small town] if.

You know you from Rockmart was actually started by a young rap artist who used to live there. It's visited now by middle aged members who recall the 1950s and 60s and post ancient pics of their ancestors and talk about high school days. Some of the photos are from the State Archives but we relate.