Thursday, June 4, 2009

What a day. I've been working on a slide show for a retiring co-worker and simply finding out how much I don't know about desktop publishing. I can't even learn how to spice up this site. I guess I'll just keep trying.

I was reading about Dr. Phil's show yesterday. It was about male reproductive rights. It seems a young man told his girlfriend he was not ready to be a parent and she agreed. She also told him she was unable to get pregnant so they had unprotected sex. Well she got pregnant but the guy told her he didn't want to be a parent. She had the baby and then sued for child support. He didn't feel he had to pay because well, he told her he didn't want to be a parent. He lost and she was awarded the child support. He tried to appeal but his case was denied before hearing it. His argument is that a woman has the right to abort a pregnancy but a man has no right to opt out of being a parent. Now....I see the reasoning in that but I think they both forfeited their right to opt out when they decided to have sex in the first place. Now, I believe a woman has the right to choose but I think maybe a father should have a say in whether to terminate a pregnancy. I know that makes things complicated but the woman shouldn't be the only one with rights. I don't think you can let father's opt out of financial support though because then all of them would be saying "I told her I didn't want to be a parent." Sometimes I wonder if people still remember what causes pregnancy! I'm curious as to what other people think about this.

2 comments:

kenju said...

He's an idiot. Simply stating
"I don't want to be a parent" is not enough and believing a girl when she tells you "she can't get pregnant" is just stupid. When a guy is faced with that, he should always use a condom (or not have sex).

Arkansas Patti said...

Wow, what chance has that child got with parents like that?
Agree with kenju but think the mother should wear the idiot title also.