Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Here we are at the end of another month. I can't believe tomorrow is July 1st. In exactly 28 days I will be 60 years old. There is something about this birthday that has me a bit unsettled. I don't mind the idea of being 60 per say but I'm not thrilled about the fact that my new roof has a life expectancy of 30 years but I don't! I expect that from now on every time I have to purchase a major appliance I'll be wondering whether it will out live me. My high school class of 1967 is having a birthday bash in August for all of us alumni that are turning 60 this year. I haven't decided whether I want to attend as I don't know if I'm in the mood for celebrating or not. I guess I have 28 more days to get used to the idea and realize that having another birthday still beats the alternative.

Today is the retirement party for one of my co-workers. He is about 53 years old and already retiring. I an envious in some ways but also know that I'm not quite ready to retire myself. My plan is to work another 6 years but I realize that plans can change. Right now I can't imagine not working but there are times when I wish I could travel while I'm still physically able to go and enjoy myself. Of course traveling is more fun when you have someone to go with and since I'm on my own I don't know if I'd enjoy going anywhere alone. But then I've never tried so I guess I shouldn't rule it out either. I do have a list of places I'd like to visit. There is Astoria Oregon, the Grand Canyon, Canada, an Alaskan cruise and maybe Hawaii. Maybe I'd better go ahead and retire and purchase some luggage.

2 comments:

kenju said...

Since you never know how much longer you have, I'd vote for going to the class birthday party and on to the Grand Canyon. Being 60 is a lot better than being dead. And the canyon is a place everyone should see before they die.

oklhdan said...

This is true. I guess I'd better start shopping for luggage!