Friday, December 5, 2008

It's hard to turn on the tv these days or pick up a newspaper. Nothing to see or hear but bad news and it gets worse each day. They talk about how ill prepared we are as individuals because we have been a generation of entitlement. My parents knew what it was to be broke and hungry. They watched their parents struggle to keep families together during the Depression. We, the Baby Boomers, never knew our nation when it wasn't prosperous. We don't grow and can our food, we don't think much further than the next meal. This is the first time I've ever been able to say that I'm glad I have no grand children. My worry stops with my own two daughters. They are even less prepared for hardship than myself. My parents provided everything I needed not wanted when I was growing up. My childhood was privileged compared to their own and my children's even more so than mine. I hate to say that with each generation an attitude of entitlement has flourished but we have become a nation of greed and excess. Now it is time to pay the PIPER. But though the economic concerns are great they pale in comparison to the threats of terrorism. The Great Depression of my parent's day saw economic relief because of a World War. Will the economic woe's of our time be altered because of a terrorist attack? Will millions of people be wiped off the earth by some biochemical or nuclear attack that changes our country and planet forever? This is currently being predicted to occur by 2013 and that's only 4 years away. How do you prepare for the possibility of something like that? I heard someone say today that they will start gathering bottled water. Well, how much? Where do you store it? Sooner or later you will run out. My dad always said the pendulum continually swings and maybe that is what is happening now. Whatever the outcome I predict it will change a generation of people and not necessarily for the bad. We've been a little too greedy for way too long.

1 comment:

kenju said...

You have a good point. My mom always said going through the great depression helped her in later years, so if our kids learn how to be frugal this time around - they can pass it on to their kids later.