Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Can You Say Aloha


My daughter's kindergarten class is preparing for their end of the school year beach party. What fun! I don't remember doing things like that when I was in school. We thought it was great fun to pack the books. Beach party sounds like a lot more fun.

Stormy weather is expected this evening. I don't get scared by the storms since I have grown up in tornado alley. I will get in the closet if the sirens blow but that's about as far as I go. I think the last time I went to a tornado shelter was when I lost both shoes in the rushing water as it flowed down the street. I think that was the same time the umbrella got turned inside out as well. Now...I just get in the closet. Hopefully that will not be required this evening. My neighbors Glen and Barbara were the weather monitors for our neighborhood. They had a shelter in their back yard and as soon as Gary England on channel 9 said it was time to take cover they had the shelter door open and were ushering the neighborhood underground. When Glen died we were standing at the grave site when suddenly the city tornado sirens began to sound. The sirens are tested weekly at 12:00 noon and the timing couldn't have been better. It was like a 20 gun salute for the man who had kept the neighborhood safe from storms.

No comments: